CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Pet-owner mistakes and merriment

As I was scanning the news this morning I came across an article titled "The Top Ten Pet-Owner Mistakes." Assuming I've made few to none I started reading and to my chagrin, I'm guilty of more than half. I've blogged about Bailey before and while he really is a dog, I think of him more as a sweet, little best-friend (like a Lars but less vocal and much smaller). He's affectionate, selfless and very intuitive. While he may not be brilliant (or even intellectually mediocre) or a circus dog he offers many other great qualities including....a stellar sense of humor and a really optimistic outlook.

Here are some mistake from Real Simple's Megan Kaplan:

Mistake 1: Buying a Pet Spontaneously - Guilty

oopsies. I couldn't resist! He was on Christmas clearance....that and he was so sweet.

Mistake 2: Skipping Obedience Training - Guilty
I didn't realize I needed to be so firm.

Mistake 3: Being Inconsistent With the Rules - Guilty
I'm a sucker....

Mistake 4: Dispensing Too Many Free Treats - Guilty
Again, I'm a sucker....

Mistake 5: Neglecting to Socialize Your Pet - Innocent!
This I've done well, he has lots of friends...humans and dogs.

Mistake 6: Skimping on Exercise - Innocent
Bailey has some health issues so exercise is optional!

Mistake 7: Neglecting to Keep Your Pet Mentally Active - Not sure?
I'm not sure about this one.

Mistake 8: Leaving a Pet Alone for Too Long - Guilty
It's hard with working parents but if the economy keeps moving in the same direction one of us will likely be with him more :)

Mistake 9: Failing to Make Your Home Pet-Friendly - Guilty
B's legs are about 2 inches tall so it's not easy for him to jump around without hurting himself.

Mistake 10: Punishing Your Pet - Innocent!
Bailey is rarely punished...plus when he screws up he usually knows he did something he wasn't supposed to....I'm a fan of self-inflicted punishment.....just not with criminals.

0 comments: