CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 13, 2008

I love Betty Draper


I had a fabulous weekend. Good friends, good sleep, GREAT football....so why do I feel so lifeless this morning? I've had more than 20 oz of coffee, I had breakfast, the office is quiet, stocks are up...so why the long face? I know that I have a little bit of Columbus Day envy - the office is empty and clearly, I didn't get the memo about making work "optional" today. Also, I woke up not all that excited about going to work which is unusual for me. I blame this morning's hesitancy on my recent obsession with AMC's Mad Men.


I've become ridiculously obsessed Don Draper's wife, Betty. Her long coral-colored nails, beautiful dresses, chain smoking and impulsive coffee drinking have me wondering if I should have been born a few decades sooner. Imagine a time when pants on women were a new thing and the idea of women working by choice was considered "modern." It a recent episode, Betty was scolded for wearing a bikini because it made her appear "desperate." DC rolls his eyes at me when I throw on my one-piece - he think it looks "weird."

Anyway, I just wanted to stay at home today, smoke a pack, drink a few cups and go horseback riding in the afternoon. Come on, can't you all picture DC and I drinking Tom Collins with PCL and Palafax over to play bridge while JFK makes a State of the Union speech on the television in the background?

Today is definitely one of those days when I'm questioning my purpose and place. I might just have to think all of this over a manicure at lunch.

0 comments: